Bible Study: Proverbs 31
Book: A Confident Heart by: Renee Swope
1. What is your earliest memory of doubting yourself or feeling insecure?
+++Wow! Talk about a ton of memories coming all at once. I reckon the first one that came to mind was when our grade had a class play. (I think it was 5th grade). Anyway, there was one kid that had something negative to say about everyone who had to audition for various parts, even himself. I was terrified when they called my name. I broke down and told them that I couldn’t do it. The teachers were so tired by then, they just skipped over to the next person. I used to love plays and acting, but to get me to do something like that took a lot of courage and confidence, which was something that I was very low on.
2. Has insecurity ever kept you from doing something?
+++All the time. Job searching was one. I would browse the “Help Wanted” ads and skip over several because I didn’t feel like “I was good enough.”
3. Describe how it makes you feel when doubt whispers:
“I can’t do this.”
“Things will never change.”
“My life isn’t going to get better.”
“It’s too hard.”
“I might as well quit.”
+++It made me want to stop reading and not pick you this book again or answer the rest of the questions. It made me feel like I was going to fail because I wouldn’t be able to do anything. It was a gateway to other thoughts as well…
“You’re a terrible mom and wife.”
“You’ll never gain anything in this Bible Study.”
“Your husband is going to think your answers are stupid.” (As well as anyone else who reads this)
“No one who reads your answer to these questions can relate.” Etc…
4.Describe what happens in your heart when you read God’s words:
“Those who hope in Me will not be disappointed” (Isa. 49:23)
“See, I am doing a new thing!” (Isa. 43:19)
“And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose” (Rom. 8:28)
“All things are possible to [her] who believes” (Mark 9:23 NASB).
+++I feel my heart swell and tears stinging my eyes as a smile spreads across my face. =)
5. What do you think hinders you most from living with God-confidence on a consistent basis? Is there a promise listed above that speaks to your greatest need right now?
+++”Those who hope in Me will not be disappointed” (Isa. 49:23)and “All things are possible to [her] who believes” (Mark 9:23 NASB) These 2 speak to me the most right now. I feel safer and more in control at these words. At His promise.
6. How would you describe a woman with a confident heart?”
+++Strong. Happy. Beautiful inside and out. Joyful. Optimistic. Loved.
7. Read Jeremiah 17:7. (Blessed [is] the man that trusteth in the LORD, and whose hope the LORD is.) What does this verse promise and encourage you to do? Think of one situation where you could live in the power of this promise and describe what that would look like this week.
+++It encourages me to want to do more for God. To make Him happy and proud of His daughter. In raising my kids to be more Christ-like. Teaching them to let go and let God.
*****Even if you haven’t read the book or this chapter, how would you answer these questions yourself?*****